How can I make a complaint?

If you think a member of our staff has not performed as you expected, has behaved wrongly or has committed an offence, you may wish to make a complaint.

What should I say?

  1. Say as much as you can about your complaint.
  2. Describe what happened.
  3. Say where and when the incident or cause for complaint took place.
  4. Give the names and addresses of any witnesses (if you have them).
  5. Give the name or identification of any member(s) of staff concerned (if known and relevant).

What happens then?

  1. A senior member (H Baldwin) of the organisation will telephone to explain the complaints procedure and to give you the opportunity to discuss your complaint.
  2. When relevant, the senior member of the organisation will try to explain why a certain course of action was taken, if it appears that the action was reasonable. Sometimes an explanation from a senior member of the organisation can help.
  3. If you are satisfied with the explanation given, your complaint will be concluded at that point. A record will be maintained of what has taken place.
  4. Any allegation of criminal conduct would not be resolved by explanation.

Who will deal with my complaint?

If matters are not concluded at that stage, your complaint may be considered by a senior member of the organisation. In cases of alleged misconduct, an investigation will be conducted by a senior member of the organisation unconnected with your case.

How will my complaint be dealt with?

  1. The person dealing with your complaint may talk to:
    1. You
    2. Any witnesses or other people who have relevant information about the complaint
    3. Any member(s) of staff you have complained about (if relevant)
  2. The person dealing with your complaint will then report to the post-holder with overall responsibility for the type of complaint concerned. For complaints alleging misconduct this will be the Managing Director. For other types of complaint the responsible post-holder will usually be the head of the department concerned.
  3. At this stage, for complaints alleging misconduct, the Managing Director can decide, after considering the investigating report;
    1. that no formal action is needed and that the matter has been, or will be, concluded by explanation to you;
    2. or Require further investigation;
    3. or Deal with any relevant member(s) of the organisation under the misconduct or disciplinary procedures;
    4. or if it appears that any member(s) of the organisation may have broken the law, the case should be referred to the Police.
  4. If your complaint is not about an individual, the person with overall responsibility may examine whether the service provided has fallen short of what you could have reasonably expected and whether any lessons can be learned.
  5. Whatever action is taken, you will be told as soon as possible.
  6. If there are to be criminal proceedings the police and crown prosecution service will deal with these. If the case goes to court therefore, you and any other witnesses may have to attend court to give evidence.
  7. The Police will let you know if there are to be no criminal proceedings. The Police will refer the matter back and where required any actions taken internally.

Misconduct/Disciplinary Procedures

The staff member(s) complained about may not have committed a criminal offence but may have behaved in a fashion considered inappropriate. In these circumstances the individual may, if appropriate, be dealt with in a number of ways including formal misconduct/ disciplinary measures.

What happens if I want to withdraw my complaint?

  1. Wherever possible, you should speak to the member of staff to whom you first made your complaint. Alternatively, you can notify the Human Resources Manager.
  2. If your complaint has led to criminal proceedings, any decision to continue with the investigation or any proceedings will rest with the Police and Crown Prosecution Service.

How do I complain about a senior member of the organisation?

  1. If you wish to make a complaint about the conduct of a senior member of the organisation, you should contact the Managing Director.
  2. If the complaint is about the Managing Director then contact the Security Industry Authority.

Malicious complaints

Anyone who knowingly makes a false complaint may be prosecuted by the Crown Prosecution Service and may be liable to civil action.

How will I find out what has happened as a result of my complaint?

You can expect to receive communication from the senior person overseeing your type of complaint, once all the work to address your concerns has been completed. In some cases, particularly where there are a number of different concerns, this can take some time.

What do I do if I am not satisfied with the way my complaint has been handled?

  1. If you are dissatisfied with the manner in which your complaint has been handled, you may refer that complaint to the Security Industry Authority.
  2. The role of the Security Industry Authority is to review the manner in which the organisation handled that complaint. Depending on the outcome of this review, the Security Industry Authority may require a reconsideration of the case and give direction as to how that reconsideration is conducted.
Contact Us